This week, Dr. Andy Roark talks with veterinarian and financial coach Dr. Meredith Jones about the Debt-Free Vets Facebook group and Veterinary Financial Summit she has co-founded. They discuss financial literacy in vet medicine and the most common and pressing questions veterinarians have on student debt.
TAKE-AWAYS FROM THE EPISODE
- Studies are showing that student debt is affecting well-being.
- Government is not investing in subsidized loans the same way they used to.
- There are effectively two plans to pay off student debt.
- Pay it off quickly (10 years or less)
- Income driven repayment plan
- Use debt-income ratio to determine which plan is going to work best for you.
- Student loan consultants do exist and can help you.
- There’s no one right way to do this.
- Financial Success doesn’t look the same for everyone.
Uncharted April Conference (VIRTUAL): unchartedvet.com/uvvc2021/
Dr. Andy Roark Swag: drandyroark.com/swag
All Links: linktr.ee/UnchartedVet
COS 006: New Research on Gender Pay Gaps & Life Choices in Veterinary Medicine
UVP 109: Asking For A Raise
UVP 035: What to Ask in a Job Interview
UVP 088: Is It Time to Quit My Dream Job
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Dr. Meredith Jones is an emergency veterinarian who lives in the Richmond, VA area. She is a self-professed “money nerd” who has a passion for financial education. In 2016, she completed training to become a financial coach and founded the Debt-Free Vets Facebook group. She is a co-founder of Veterinary Financial Summit, a financial conference and online community for veterinary professionals.